Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Size 0?

Time to get a little off track. I was watching Rachael Ray today, and the super curvey, super cute awesome cook chick was discussing being a size zero. This has been a topic that's been in the news a lot lately, ever since there have been model deaths due to extreme anorexia.

It seems like Americans are either too skinny or too fat.

Every day we see a commerical for a new weight loss pill, or a new exercise machine. We hear about hot celebrity bodies. It's hard for a normal person to have an AWESOME body.

I gained a significant amount of weight the summer after my sophomore year of college because I was working two jobs, often 12+ hours a day, and would often end up eating McDonald's. Plain and simple, that was my problem. Waaaaay too much fast food. I take full responsibility for it.

Now my goal size is 8... I'm a 10... want to lose about 10lbs and 1 size. I'm struggling. And then I hear stories about these models who are a size 0, and want to be a 00. I see pictures of Lindsey Lohan when she was super skinny, and I wanna vomit... she was HOT in her Mean Girls days. Nicole Richie, too. Who told her to get THAT thin? I liked her when she was a little chunkier. She held her own with Paris Hilton, and I think she really stole The Simple Life

Diet and exercise. Two simple things that every doctor and dietician say are the key to weight loss, yet seem like the hardest things to do. Exercise takes time. Not only the actual time spent exercising, but you have to shower after, and too many showers make my skin dry.

I know that I'm a size 8 with some extra fat that makes me a 10. I wouldn't want to get any smaller than that. I don't get it. I don't get the obsession with being so small. Ask any man, and he'll tell you that a girl who looks like five toothpicks and a ping-pong ball isn't hot. But neither is a girl who looks like the ping-pong ball alone.

America has a obsession with food. Whether it's eating it or not eating it. Food has become a part of our everday lives. It's not just like breathing. We make decisions of when, what and how much we eat. What was once a form of fuel for our bodies has now become something we do for pleasure. It's not so much a fuel as it is an enemy. It's easy to go overboard, to eat too much.

Our culture has divided itself... we're about more calories, but smaller sizes

No comments: