Wednesday, April 4, 2007

For Your Next Trip, Stock Up on Dental Mitts

Michelle Higgins
The New York Times
Sunday, April 1st, 2007*
The Story
The Summary: The trials and tribulations of liquid restrictions in carry-on bags on airplanes are examined.

I flew for the first time this past January. FIRST TIME EVER... at 21. I was most worried about not packing the right things, and ending up in some holding cell in an airport as a terrorist because I packed a tube of toothpaste that was too big. Because of this, I packed all of my body care in my checked luggage, with the exception of three two-ounce bottles of shower gel, lotion, and splash... back-ups just incase I wound up loosing my checked luggage. I was visiting a friend, so stopping by a Walmart or Target to pick up anything else I might need wasn't too much of an issue.

I made it to Tampa all right, and nothing got lost or majorly damaged. (I did have a shampoo bottle bust on me, but when ever I travel, I put everthing in plastic baggies... for just such an occasion.

One problem for airlines that has developed from the 3oz or less rule is that more people are checking luggage than before. Which is what I ended up doing on my way back. I packed my soft bag that had been my carry-on with dirty clothes (so there wasn't anything breakable in the bag) and checked it. It was a pain to carry two heavy bags around the airport. I was only going home... I really didn't care if my hair was perfect (it wasn't) or if my breath smelled (if you eat or drink anything, all toothbrushing/breath freshening efforts are shot, anyway.)

Trial sizes for traveling have been around forever! I don't know what the big deal is. Most people had smaller bottles of their favorites for traveling in the first place. Who wants to lug around full sized products! Where I work, all of are trial sizes are around 2oz... and come in small enough bottles where one should be able to fit a small arsenol of body care products in a 1-quart bag.

When it comes down to it, all of this is for our saftey. We can't complain too much, and just live with it.

*I found this article online, while finding the link to the previous article... and I liked it :D

No comments: