Friday, March 30, 2007

Video Games Conquer Retirees

Seth Schiesel
The New York Times
Friday, March 30th, 2007
pg A21
The Story
The Summary: Senior citizens are joining the video game craze.

When I first saw the title of this article, I got worried. I know people who don't have jobs, don't go to school, but they play video games all day. But they grew up in the '90s... in the midst of the video game era. I don't like the idea of my grandma wasting away her final years in front of the TV playing "God of War." (Although, I don't think I have to worry about my grandma playing video games, she doesn't quite understand how solitare on the computer works)

After reading the article, I love the idea. From retired Roman-Catholic sisters playing mini-games like Bejeweled to seniors playing Wii Bowling instead of regular bowling, games aren't taking over seniors lives, they're enriching it.

Most games (like those for the X-box and the PS3) are created for the young male, with complicated graphics and storylines. The games that seinors are picking up on are the simple games created by companies like PopCap games, or those created for the Nintendo Wii. These games are often refered to as "casual games," mostly because of their simplicity and ease.

A senior who started a Wii bowling league says he prefers Wii bowling to regular bowling because he doesn't have all the aches and pains from the weight of the ball. Yet there's still an element of low-impact exercise to it. My roommate, who owns half a Wii (the other half is owned by her fiance) said she woke up with sore arms after playing Wii boxing one evening.

The Wii has taken the industry by storm. Going back to the principles of early games, when the systems were simple, so the games had to be fun, Wii games are simplistic, but fun. They're also the most interactive home video games. Unlike most systems, there's activity for all of your body, not just your fingers and thumbs.

I'm a big fan of social games. If you can hang out with people, yell, scream, and have general conversation while playing, it's fun. I'm not a big fan solo games that take over your life.

To social, casual games!!!

No comments: